Factors that Affect Cesarean Delivers in the General Hospital of Guaranda (Ecuador)

Main Article Content

Favian Bayas


Aim: Cesarean section is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of the fetus through the abdominal through an incision in the uterus. The most common causes for this practice are maternal, fetal, maternal-fetal, and obstetrics. The recommended percentage of cesarean sections according to the World Health Organization is 10–15%. However, in our country, it exceeds 45%. Considering this, the present work was proposed to study the causes that affect the performance of cesarean sections in the General Hospital of Guaranda. Method: To this end, a retrospective, descriptive, and cross-sectional analysis was performed on a total of 319 patients who underwent cesarean section during the second semester of 2015, an analysis of their respective medical histories was carried out, as well as a direct interview with three gynecologist-obstetrician specialists of the hospital. Results: It was determined that the number of cesarean sections performed was 319 (44%) compared to the number of normal deliveries that were 403 (56%); of the caesarean sections, 63% were emergency due to premature membrane rupture, prolonged labor, fetal distress, and cephalopelvic disproportion, and the remaining 37% was by medical prescription. Conclusion: In conclusion, the physicians consider that the preparatory conditions of the mother significantly influence the practice of a cesarean section.


Download data is not yet available.

Article Details

How to Cite
Bayas, F. (2018). Factors that Affect Cesarean Delivers in the General Hospital of Guaranda (Ecuador). Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP), 12(02). https://doi.org/10.22377/ajp.v12i02.2408